Ashley Mackenzie Villa
And Private Fantail Spa
Nestled on the clifftop overlooking the spectacular blue waters of Lake Pukaki towards Aoraki Mount Cook, the Ashley Mackenzie Villa is set in one of the world’s most picturesque locations. Inspiring and romantic, the villa is a private and peaceful space for you to relax and rejuvenate. Ashley Mackenzie Villa can be booked for use of one or two bedrooms, depending on the size of your party.
Two large double bedrooms, named the Mackenzie Room and the Ashley Room after our two granddaughters, have been designed in the style of a European farmhouse, with thick 600mm walls, high wood ceilings, Italian sandstone flooring, leadlight windows and double glazing. The bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the villa for complete privacy. Depending on the size of your party, the villa can be booked for use of one bedroom or two bedrooms.
Restful and light filled, the bedrooms are romantically elegant and decorated in soft Tuscan white with neutral velvet and linens and luxurious bedding. Leadlight double-glazed french doors and windows frame the magnificent views from these rooms. The french doors open out onto the patio and lawn and one of New Zealand’s most iconic and spectacular views over Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mount Cook. Each bedroom’s super king bed can be reconfigured into two king single beds for twin share.
Each bedroom has a large ensuite bathroom designed in Edwardian style with tiled walls and a tesselated French Winkelmann tile floor. To add to the sense of elegance, the bathrooms are fitted out with exclusive Perrin and Rowe tapware produced by English craftsmen with a passion for authentic design, quality and durability. You can bathe at leisure in the spacious bath with views to a private garden, or revive under the rain and handheld shower heads.
The Drawing Room
The Drawing Room
A beautiful open plan drawing room connects the Mackenzie and Ashley bedrooms. The drawing room features a high ceiling, an open fireplace, deep comfortable leather furnishings and elegant antique furniture. Original paintings and images by New Zealand artists decorate the walls. The french doors at one end open out to the lawn and an outdoor dining space, and deep angled windows light the room.
Kitchen and Dining
Kitchen and Dining
Ashley Mackenzie Villa features a large, airy kitchen and dining area with a polished wood dining table. The space is perfect to enjoy the fine cuisine prepared by the Retreat’s chef and delivered to your villa for private dining.
Guests staying at Ashley Mackenzie Villa have private and exclusive use of Fantail Spa. Named for the small native birds, piwakawaka (fantails) which frequent the area, Fantail Spa’s design captures a harmonious balance of energy and natural elements. Filled with light and open to lake and mountain views, the spa design reflects the natural beauty of its surroundings. Inviting, warm and welcoming, the spa includes a sauna, outdoor hot tub, workout room and massage room. Because Ashley Mackenzie Villa is located in absolute privacy, you can also choose to enjoy a massage outside.
- Accommodation in a 195-square-metre luxury villa with private spa
- Lake view over Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mount Cook
- The villa has two bedrooms connected by a central drawing room, kitchen and dining area
- Each bedroom is connected to its own large ensuite bathroom
- The Fantail Spa is your private spa and includes a workout room, massage room, sauna and outdoor hot tub
- Ashley Mackenzie Villa is finished in natural wooden timbers and soft Italian sandstone flooring, with well-appointed furnishings
- Free access to the Retreat’s private forest walkways and tennis court
- Bathroom amenities include hairdryer, spa/bath robe and slippers
- The villa is warm and comfortable with a large open fire and central heating
- Massage is by appointment and subject to availability
- Onsite astronomical observatory and wine cellar experience
- Onsite wellness and massage treatments available by arrangement and subject to availability
- Private chef service
- Laundry service
- Local tours and packages by arrangement
- Luxury accommodation
- Free and private use of the Fantail Spa
- Complimentary bottle of New Zealand wine on arrival, selected from our curated wine cellar
- Fresh seasonal fruit platter, replenished daily
- Gourmet breakfast provisions, replenished daily
- Three-course meal each day including nibbles platter, prepared by our private chef and brought to your villa for private dining
- Free wireless internet access
- Free use of the estate’s tennis court, petanque, croquet, and curling rink (in winter)
- Bathroom amenities
- Bicycles for use on cycle trails (by arrangement)
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Free onsite parking
- Daily servicing of your villa
From the moment I booked the villa to the time we departed, everything was perfect. Kaye made recommendations for tours and quickly accommodated us when our party grew from 2 to 4. The 2 bedrooms are both the same size, so there is no fighting over who gets the bigger room! Food was abundant and absolutely fresh and delicious throughout the entire stay. We picked out our wine from the wine cellar upon arrival and, the next night, Luke brought up a variety of bottles for us to choose from for dinner that night. We had an absolutely clear sky for stargazing in the observatory, and saw some brilliant stars, along with Saturn. Anna made sure that we had every supplement we needed, including picnic lunch and massages in the private spa. Also, the fireplace was set up to ensure that even fire dummies could get a flame going. We were in absolute heaven, and can honestly say this was the best part of our trip!